Alien Registration Card

Applying for an Alien Registration Card (ARC)

Foreigners staying in Korea for more than 90 days must register for an Alien Registration Card(ARC) at a local immigration office within 90 days from the date of entry. Simply receiving your visa is not the last step to registration, and those with visas must receive an ARC to finalize their sojourn documentation. It is illegal to stay in Korea for more than 90 days without being registered, regardless of your visa at entry. Please be sure to check for the most recent information at ( before your visit, or by calling the immigration hotline at 1345 (no area code needed).

Required Documents
  • Application Form
  • Passport
  • 1 Color Photo (3.5cm X 4.5cm)
  • Proof of Residence
  • Application Fee of KRW 30,000
  • Medical check-up record for tuberculosis (updated 2018.03.01.)
    • (19 countries) China, Sri Lanka, Russia, Uzbekistan, Thailand, Vietnam, India, Nepal, East Timor, Indonesia, Pakistan, Mongolia, Bangladesh, the Philippines, Myanmar, Cambodia, Kyrgyzstan, Malaysia, Laos
    • Students of these nationalities are required to submit the medical check-up report including the examination for tuberculosis issued from a neighborhood public health center.

Additional Documents
Required Document
Status Required Document
Professor (E-1) Yonsei University Business Registration Certificate *
Foreign Language Instructor (E-2) Yonsei University Business Registration Certificate *
A health check for employment including drug tests from a medical institution specified by the minister of justice is needed
Study (D-2) Certificate of Enrollment
Language Training (D-4) Certificate of Enrollment
Training Center Establishment Related Certificates

* Provided by the OIA or your department/college/school

You (and any visa dependents) need to visit your appropriate Immigration Office in person with these required documents. It takes approximately 6 weeks for the Immigration Office to process the application. Please be aware that applicants must leave their passports with the Immigration Office during the entire approval period.

Alien Registration Card Re-Issuance

Eligible Circumstances
  • Lost or Stolen Registration Cards
  • Damaged Registration Cards
  • Lack of Space for Necessary Information
  • Changes in Details on the Existing Card (name, sex, birth date, or nationality)

Note: Application for a new card must be made within 14 days of the above reasons.

Required Documents for Re-issuance
  • Passport
  • Completed Application Form for Re-issuance
  • Document stating reason for re-issuance application
  • 1 Color Head Shot Photo (3.5 x 4.5cm)
  • Old Registration Card (if existing card is rendered useless from wear/tear, lack of space, or change of details)
  • Process Fee: 20,000 KRW

Note: You must go to your local immigration office to submit your re-issuance form in person.

Reporting Changes

Foreigners are required to report changes to any details (including change of address) on their ARC within 14 days of the change(payment of fines if reported after 14 days) If any of the following changes happen, they must be reported to the local Immigration Office or online at Call 1345 in advance to check which office is appropriate for you.

  • Name, gender, date of birth, or nationality
  • Passport details: number, date of issuance, or expiration date
  • Hosting employer/institution (including change of business name) for D-2 and D-4 status holders
  • Residence address