Student Visas

General Student Visa

What is a Visa?

Korean law defines a visa as a “recommendatory action by a consul to apply for entry by a foreigner.” Those not meeting the necessary requirements may be denied entry into the country. In general, international students are required to apply for a D-2 (General Student) visa.

“Certificate of Admission” for the D-2 Visa

After international students have been admitted and paid the tuition fee, they will be able to receive their Certificate of Admission(COA). This must be taken to the Korea Embassy or Consulate in your country to apply for a D-2 visa.

Basic required documents for D-2 visa application

Documents may be added or exempted as needed at the discretion of the consulate in charge of individual review processes. Please visit the HiKorea e-Government for Foreigners website for the most up-to-date visa application checklist.

  1. Passport and a copy of it
  2. Application form for Visa Issuance
  3. Fee
  4. 1 color photo(3.5㎝ X 4.5㎝)
    • Taken within the last 6 months
    • White background
  5. Certificate of Admission(COA) and Business Registration Certificate of Yonsei University(both documents will be provided by the university)
  6. Certificate of Final Level of Education(ex. Graduation Certificate/Diploma)
  7. Financial Statement[Their or their parents’ bank financial statement which includes 1-year worth of tuition and living expense(approximately 21,000 USD) issued within 30 days before the visa application date] ※ Those who are subject to scholarship can submit certificate of scholarship instead
  8. Medical check-up record for Tuberculosis(changed as of 2020.04.01.)
    • Nationals from the following countries are required to submit a medical check-up report including the examination for tuberculosis issued from their neighborhood public health center:
    • (35 countries) China, Sri Lanka, Russia, Uzbekistan, Thailand, Vietnam, India, Nepal, East Timor, Indonesia, Pakistan, Mongolia, Bangladesh, the Philippines, Myanmar, Cambodia, Kyrgyzstan, Malaysia, Laos, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Moldova, Nigeria, South Africa, Ethiopia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kenya, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Angola, Peru, Papua New Guinea
  9. Additonal documents for each program
    • Bachelor's, Master's, Doctor's Degree: Documents proving the final level of education(ex. high school diploma), Financial Statement(=tuition fee and finance for stay for a year)
    • Exchange Students: Documents proving personal finance for stay(considering the tuition is paid in the country of origin), Recommendation letter issued by the head of your home university, Documents proving that you are an exchange student, Documents proving that you have completed at least one semester in your home university
    • Research Program: Documents proving your final level of education(ex. master’s degree diploma), Documents proving funds for stay(Bank account statement, Research Allowance Confirmation, etc.), Confirmation of International Researcher(in replacement of Certificate of Admission)


      If you have any inquires regarding visa, please feel free to contact the Office of International Affairs.

    • Email:
    • Telephone: +82-2-2123-6492