Extension of Stay
If you want to extend your visa, you must apply for permission before the period of your stay expires. The Immigration Office will accept requests two months before the expiration date of your visa. A penalty will be fined if the applicant fails to apply more than 2 months in advance.
E-application services are available for online submission of extensions of stay applications at the HiKorea.go.kr
- Foreigner Registration Card (if applicable)
- Attached documents per status of stay
- Processing Fee of 60,000 KRW (50,000 KRW for F-2 Visa Holders)
Change of Sojourn Status
Those who have an invalid visa must change the visa type before the university begins. Or they have to visit the local Immigration office to get permission before they start working or researching in Korea.
Implementation of Re-entry Permit Exemption
- If you are a registered foreigner and plan to return to Korea within 1 year from the departure date, you are exempted from re-entry permit
- If your period of sojourn remains less than 1 year, you are exempted from a re-entry permit for the remaining period.
- If you need the permission due to the entry restrictions, you may submit application to an Immigration (Branch) Office free of charge.
- If you are a registered alien and plan to return to Korea between 1 year and 2 years from the departure date, you may apply for multiple re-entry permit free of charge.
- A 2-year period will be granted. If your period of sojourn remains less than 2years, you are exempted from a re-entry permit for the remaining period.