[Fall 2022] Regarding Korean National Health Insurance(NHIS)2022.10.12 정수현 1848
Dear Fall 2022 exchange and visiting students,Greetings from Yonsei OIA,Many of you should have started receiving your D-2 Alien Registration Card(ARC) and along with that, the request for Korean National Health Insurance(NHIS) payment.Please refer to the following announcement regarding who is automatically registered to NHIS, how to be exempt from it, and contact NHIS directly to check whether you have been registered and how you can receive the bill.
1. Eligible Subjects
Any international student staying in Korea is subject to the mandatory to the National Health Insurance of Korea from March 1, 2021.
Even if an international student do not report to the National Health Insurance Service(NHIS), NHIS automatically processes the registration.
Please refer to the attached National Health Insurance Service booklet for further information.
2. Enrollment Time
First entry → Alien registration date
Re-entry → Re-entry date
Overseas Korean students and foreign nationality Korean students
On the date of admission into a school
(if a copy of the proof enrollment is submitted)
※ If you receive medical coverage equivalent to medical care benefits (Article 41 of the National Health Insurance Act) by foreign laws, from foreign insurance, or under the contract with your employer, you may apply for exemption from the subscription. Please contact NHIS directly regarding your exemption.
3. National Health Insurance Exclusion Application
1) Please check with NHIS call center for detailed exception conditions.
2) Required Document
Documents verifying that medical guarantee, such as applications for exclusion of membership, insurance certificates, etc. is available
-France: exclusion application form(exclusion processes after checking Nationality)
-Japan: Japan health insurance card, exclusion application form
-U.S.A: Uniform Card or Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance card, exclusion application form
※For documents in foreign languages, you can submit the original and Korean translation number together. (Apostille certification and translation notarization are not required.)
※If you would like to apply for a subscription exception, please contact the NHIS (Tel. 1577-1000) first and prepare the documents.
※Please refer to National Health Insurance Service website(https://www.nhis.or.kr/english/wbheaa02600m01.do) for further information.
4. Disadvantages with Non-payment of Contributions
1) Restrictions on Health Insurance Benefits: Health Insurance benefits at medical care institutions are unavailable from the first day of the month following the payment deadline until the contribution is fully paid.
2) Restrictions on Visa Extension: Your stay in Korea may not be extended by the Korea Immigration Service. (Exception)The restriction on visa extension does not apply if the contribution in arrears is less than KRW 500,000 or if other collection in arrears are less than KRW 100,000.
3) Dispositions on Default: The NHIS may demand payment by the specified period. Where a person fails to pay the insurance contributions by the specified period, compulsory collection procedures to seize his/her real estate, automobile, deposit, and so on may proceed. The contributions in arrears may be paid in installments. The restriction on health insurance benefits will be lifted and made available once such installments are fully paid. If you default on health insurance contributions, health insurance benefits are limited, and even if you pay the arrears in full later on, you will not be reimbursed for medical expenses retrospectively. Therefore, please be careful not to default on insurance contributions.
5. NHIS Contact Information
Dial 7 for information on foreign languages
Service in foreign languages
(English, Chinese, Vietnamese and available)
※ Service Hours: 9:00am~6:00pm on weekdays