Credit Approval Procedure
1. Contact information
|Category||Responsible Office||Responsible Office/Team||Contact Information|
|Converting credits||Office of International Affairs||Office of International Affairs||02-2123-8453 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Credit transfer approval||Office of Academic Affairs||Academic Support Team||02-2123-2097|
|For graduate students, contact their own departments|
2. Converting credits (Office in charge: Office of International Affairs)
- 1) In order to approve credits taken at the exchange institution, students should bring the official transcript to the Office of International Affairs directly and have it signed. After that, students can get the final approval from their professors in their respective majors and submit the credit approval request form to the Office of Academic Affairs, Academic Support Team.
- 2) Credits will be converted based on the hours of classes, and the school system of the host university.
- 3) Range of credit approval
Range of credit approval One (1) semester 1/8 of the total graduation credits Two (2) semesters 1/4 of the total graduation credits
- For quarter system institutions, 2/3 of the host university's credit will be approved as Yonsei's academic credit. e.g. 30 credits from UC Irvine > 20 credits at Yonsei
- Graduate students should contact their own departments for credit transfer.
3. Final credit transfer approval (Office in charge: Office of Academic Affairs, Academic Support Team)
- 1) Credits taken at the host university can be approved as major, undergraduate basic, mandatory, or double-major courses.
- 2) Students should download and fill out the credit approval request form from Yonsei Portal.
- General elective subjects do not belong to major, undergraduate basic, or mandatory courses. For example, if a business major student takes psychology major courses, they will be approved as general elective subjects.
- Courses that cannot be approved as major, undergraduate basic, mandatory, double-major, or interdisciplinary major courses will be approved as general elective credits.
- 3)Signature from the Department Chair
- Major subjects- Signature from the Department Chair.
- Interdisciplinary major courses- Signature from the Department Chair.
- Double major courses- Signature from the professor in charge of double-major course or the Department Chair.
- 4) Undergraduate basic, mandatory subjects
Signature from the professor in charge of undergraduate basic and mandatory subjects is needed. After getting the signature from the professor, submit the credit approval request form and the official transcript with a seal from the Regional Cooperation Center to the Academic Support Team, Office of Academic Affairs Office
- Office Location: Right side of Underwood Hall (B1)
- 5)Credit Approval
- Courses that are similar to those offered at Yonsei University can be approved.
- Courses that have the same or higher credit value than Yonsei University can be approved.
- Course with lower credit value can be approved if combined with another related subject to make the total credit value the same or higher than the course at Yonsei University.
- 6) Example of course approval
Example of course approval Course at Yonsei Course at Host University Result UA121 English(1) 3 credits English 3 credits Approved UA121 English(1) 3 credits English Writing 2 credits Not approved UA121 English(1) 3 credits English(1) 2 credits
English(2) 2 credits
- Only the courses that are actually offered at Yonsei University can be approved. (Courses not listed on the course catalog cannot be approved.)
- F (fail) grade will not be approved.
- Courses that are marked as Pass/Non-pass or Satisfactory can only be approved if the course is marked with credit value on the transcript. (These courses cannot be approved as major subjects.)
- Grades obtained from the host university won't be included nor counted toward the GPA at Yonsei University. Yonsei transcript will show program type, number of credits approved, duration of study, and name of the host university.
- During the ESP period, students cannot take summer or winter courses at Yonsei University.
- After returning to Yonsei, students must submit the credit approval request form to the Office of Academic Affairs as soon as transcript arrives.
- Retaking courses at the host university that are taken at Yonsei University can only be approved as elective credits.
- Credit approval request form cannot be changed after submitted to the Office of Academic Affairs-Academic Support Team.
- 7) Students cannot apply for a leave of absence under any circumstances.