General Student Visa
What is a Visa?
Korean law defines a visa as a “recommendatory action by a consul to apply for entry by a foreigner.” Those not meeting the necessary requirements may be denied entry into the country. In general, exchange/visiting students are required to apply for a D-2 (General Student) visa.
“Certificate of Admission” for the D-2 Visa
In your acceptance packet, you will receive your Certificate of Admission form, which you will need to take to the Korea Embassy or Consulate in your country to apply for a D-2 visa. Be prepared to take an original bank statement accompanied by a letter of financial support from parents or other sponsors if applicable.
Basic required documents for D-2 visa application
Documents may be added or exempted as needed at the discretion of the immigration officer in charge of individual review processes. Please visit the HiKorea e-Government for Foreigners website for the most up-to-date visa application checklist.
- A photocopy of passport
- Application for Visa Issuance or Application for Recognition of Visa Issuance
- Single-entry visa: KRW 120,000
- 1 color photo of the applicant is needed when applying for the certificate of recognition of visa issuance
- Size: 3.5㎝ x 4.5㎝
- Photos must have been taken within the past 6 months.
- Printed photographs are not accepted.
- Bright background is preferred over a dark one.
- Photocopy of Business Registration Certificate of a respective education institute
- Standard Acceptance Letter (Certificate of Admission)
- Medical check-up record for tuberculosis (changed as of 2016.03.02.)
- (18 countries) China, Sri Lanka, Rusiia, Uzbekistan, Tailand, Vietnam, India, Nepal, East Timor, Indonesia, Pakistan, Mongolia, Bangladesh, the Philippines, Myanmar, Cambodia, Kyrgyzstan, Malaysia
- Nationals from these countries are required to submit a medical check-up report including the examination for tuberculosis issued from their neighborhood public health center
- Document proving family relations (21 countries)
- (21 countries) China, Philippine, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Mongolia, Thailand, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, India, Myanmar, Nepal, Iran, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Ukraine, Nigeria, Ghana, Egypt, Peru
- Documents for Each program (bachelor, master, doctor)
- Documents proving the final level of education
- Documents proving your financial ability to support yourself(tuition fee and finance for stay for a year)
- Documents for Each program (Research Program)
- Documents proving your final level of education (The minimum education requirement is master’s degree)
- Documents proving funds for stay(Bank account balance statement, Research Allowance Confirmation, etc.)
- Documents for Each program(Exchange students)
- Documents proving personal finance for stay(considering the tuition is paid in the country of origin)
- Recommendation letter issued by the head of your university in your country
- Documents proving that you are an exchange student
- Documents proving that you have completed at least one semester