Faculty Visas

E-1 Professor


For individuals who seek to give lectures or conduct a special study at a college or university for more than 90 days. New international faculty members are required to obtain an E-1 Professor visa (hereinafter, E-1 visa) in order to enter Korea and perform work at Yonsei University. If they are expected to work less than 90 days, other working visas like C-4 are applicable.

*Yonsei OIA grants E-1 visas to tenure-track professors employed by Office of Academic Affairs only. Other professors seeking working visa must consult with the office of their designated department/research institute.

Method 1: E- Visa Application

In lieu of submitting documents to the OIA, professors may individually apply for E-1 visas through www.visa.go.kr.

E-visa policy is a policy which issues an electronic visa to those who do not need to visit a Korean embassy/consulate for a consul interview to obtain a visa, such as professors and researchers.

Method 2: Submitting documents through the OIA

Refer to the list of required documents below and submit them to ifaculty@yonsei.ac.kr.

Required Documents

  1. Application for Confirmation of Visa Issuance
  2. 1 photocopy of passport
  3. 1 photocopy of Ph.D. degree certificate
  4. Curriculum vitae
  5. 1 color photo(3.5cm X 4.5cm)

It usually takes about 2~3 weeks from the date of application to receive your visa issuance approval number.

Once Immigration Office notifies the OIA of your visa issuance approval number, details will be sent to you via e-mail.

Please provide the visa issuance approval number to your nearest Republic of Korea Embassy or Consulate to receive your E-1 visa.

E-1 Extensions

Professors who wish to continue lecturing or study activities at Yonsei beyond their valid visa period are required to apply for the visa extension.

Application for an extension of stay should be submitted at least two months before your current visa's expiration date. Penalties will be charged for late applications.

Required Documents:

  1. Application form
  2. Passport
  3. Alien Registration Card
  4. 1 color photo(3.5 cm X 4.5 cm)
  5. Employment contract (original AND photocopy)
  6. 1 copy of Business Registration Certificate of Yonsei University
  7. 1 copy of your teaching schedule with the course list including the number of students registered for each course
  8. 1 copy of Receipt for Wage and Salary Income Taxes Withholding
  9. Acceptable documents for proof of residency(lease contract, Confirmation of Provided Residence, etc)
  10. Process fee: KRW 60,000