Student Visas

Change of Academic Status

Departure after Change of Academic Status

D-2 student visa is only valid while the student is enrolled to the university and taking classes. If there is a change of academic status for international students with D-2 visa, their visa will expire regardless the maturity date written on the back side of the ARC and students MUST leave Korea within 30 days from the date of change. If a student does not leave the country within 30 days, he or she will be regarded as an illegal immigrant and will have to pay fines to the Immigration Office, so do depart from the country in time.

  1. List of Changes of Academic Status that require Departure from Korea
    • Leave of Absence
    • Voluntary Permanent Academic Leave
    • Expulsion
    • Graduation
    • Completion of Bachelor’s Degree
    • Outbound Exchange Program for more than 2 semesters
  2. Departure Process: Change of Academic Status > Buy Flight Ticket > Return ARC at the Airport (MANDATORY) > Depart Korea
Return to School

Returning students MUST receive a new Certificate of Admission for their new D-2 visa because their previous D-2 visa expired when their academic status changed.

  1. Apply for the return through Yonsei Portal website during the announced application period for return.
  2. Receive an email guideline regarding re-issuance of Certificate of Admission for a new D-2 visa from Yonsei OIA.
  3. Receive the new Certificate of Admission(COA).
  4. Go to the nearest Korean Embassy/Consulate in your country to apply for a new D-2 visa.
  5. Upon arrival to Korea, re-apply for a new Alien Registration Card(the number on the issued card is generally the same as your original number).

Required Documents for Visa Application

Refer to "Immigration" - "Student Visas" - "General (D-2)" - "Basic required documents for D-2 visa application"