Exchange Student Program

Requirements for ESP/VSP

  1. Undergraduate students must have completed at least two (2) semesters at Yonsei.
  2. Graduate students (master’s and doctoral degree candidates)
    • 1) Must have completed at least one (1) semester at Yonsei.
    • 2) Must have approval from the Dean.
    • 3) Must have never previously participated in ESP at Yonsei.
    • 4) Must participate in ESP for the sole purpose of taking courses for credits (research or gathering data for thesis is not allowed during ESP).
  3. GPA: All students must have at least 3.0/4.3 (86 in percentage).
  4. ※ For international students, your current D-2 visa may be cancelled if you participate in ESP abroad depending on your terms of exchange.

Foreign Language Requirements

All applicants to programs in English Speaking Countries must provide a TOEFL score report. The TOEFL requirement will be waived only for applicants whose mother tongue or first language is English. In order to receive a waiver, the student must submit their passport photocopy instead of TOEFL score report.

TOEFL requirements for different colleges
TOEFL requirements for different colleges
Humanities, Social Science 79 213 550
Natural Science, Physical Education, Music 68 190 520
Graduate School 100 250 600
  1. IBT TOEFL score is the standard, but official CBT or PBT scores are also acceptable.
  2. Students should plan ahead of time to take TOEFL tests, because it takes some time to receive the score report in document.
  3. TOEFL scores will be converted into IBT score according to ETS’ official conversion chart.

Applicants to Non-English Speaking Countries

  1. Students should take a language proficiency test administered by the Yonsei Foreign Language Institute through the Office of International Affairs. The result will be counted as verification of one’s foreign language proficiency.
  2. Some schools in Japan may require Level 1 or 2 of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test score, and HSK at schools in China. Only students with requested language proof can apply to those schools.

More Information on Applicants to Non-English Speaking Countries

  1. In order to promote exchange programs with non-English speaking countries, students applying to schools in non-English language are given priority in placement over those applying in English program.
  2. Languages: Japanese, Chinese, French, German, Russian, Spanish
  3. How to Apply
    • 1) Students applying to non-English language should only select schools that offer classes in the aforementioned languages. (Applying to both non-English program and English program is not permitted).
    • 2) Students should submit a Statement of Purpose in the language he/she is applying to, and attach a translated version in Korean or English.
    • 3) Students must take a language proficiency test through the Office of International Affairs.
    • 4) Evaluation Process: Students are evaluated on whether they can take courses in the language. Their abilities in listening, speaking, writing, and reading will be evaluated on a total of 40 points. If an applicant is evaluated as not proficient enough to take courses in that language, the foresaid applicant will not be able to participate in the program.
    • 5) Students will compete amongst those applying in the same language, and will be ranked according to their language exam result and GPA.
    • 6) Students applying to non-English speaking programs cannot apply to schools providing programs in English